Sunday, May 06, 2012

Education Minister 'not comfortable' with Brady as head of Catholic church

Education Minister Ruairi Quinn has said that he is "not comfortable" that Cardinal Sean Brady is in charge of the Catholic church, which runs the majority of schools in the State.

It follows claims by the BBC that the now Primate of All Ireland knew details of the abuse of children by Fr Brendan Smyth in the 1970s and did not bring it to the attention of the authorities or the parents of the children involved.

Cardinal Brady says he was simply a "notary" and he has stated that he has no intention of resigning.

Minister Quinn said that the Cardinal's involvement, by extension, in the running of most of Ireland's schools concerns him, but he said that there is nothing he can do to remove him.

When asked for his view, he stated: "No, personally speaking, I'm not comfortable. Ultimately that will be a decision made by the hierarchy and the church. You asked me to express my view and to express my opinion and how I feel. I've no jurisdiction, obviously, it's a matter for the man in question and the church of which he's a member."